At Kennall Vale, we want all children to have the confidence to communicate their knowledge, ideas and emotions through their writing and reach their full potential. Children will develop their phonic and spelling knowledge, learn the correct pencil grip and letter formation to encourage stamina for writing.
- Phonics is taught systematically in EYFS and Key Stage One, using Essential Letters and Sounds (ELS).
- Pre cursive handwriting and correct pencil grip is taught in EYFS to support the use of cursive handwriting from Year 1-6.
- Spelling knowledge is built upon in Key Stage 2 using Spelling Shed; delivered with engaging resources to teach spelling patterns. Children are tested on their spellings each week.
- Grammar is taught explicitly in Key Stage 2, following a structured progression document and giving children opportunities to apply this knowledge in their writing.
- Children at Kennall Vale will be exposed to high quality examples of a wide variety of writing genres, enabling them to write successfully for different purposes.
- Editing is a key focus; children use toolkits, punctuation stations and classroom resources to improve and assess their own writing.
Children at Kennall Vale will leave Year 6 with a love of writing and a strong grasp of Standard English. Teachers will assess a piece of independent writing each half term using Evidence Gathering Grids, focusing on a text type that has been covered. NFER termly assessments will be used to assess Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.